top of page
MOUNTAIN VIEW GARDEN CLUB CONSTITUTION & BY-LAWS
ARTICLE I - NAME
The name of this club shall be the Mountain View Garden Club.
ARTICLE II - PURPOSE
The Mountain View Garden Club is a not-for-profit organization.
Our mission is to share our knowledge and love of
gardening while beautifying the Elk Mountain area and surrounding communities.
ARTICLE III - MEMBERSHIP
Membership in this organization shall be open to any individual
who actively promotes the mission of the Garden Club.
ARTICLE IV - OFFICERS
The officers of the Club shall be:
ARTICLE V - TERMS
All officers shall serve a term of one year with the exception of the President and Vice President who will serve for one two-year term and may not serve more than two years consecutively in that office.
ARTICLE VI - DUTIES OF OFFICERS
The President shall preside at all meetings of the Club and of the Executive Board
and shall also perform all other duties usually pertaining to this office. The President shall appoint committee chairpersons and be a member ex-officio of all committees.
The Vice-President shall perform the duties of the President in his/her absence and will work closely with the President, thereby preparing the Vice President to succeed to the office of President following the en of his/her term. The Vice President shall oversee the Membership Committee.
The Recording Secretary shall keep the minutes of the Club and Executive Board meetings. He/she shall keep attendance at all meetings and have charge of all records and papers of the Club other than the Treasurer’s book. The Corresponding Secretary shall conduct all correspondence of the Club and act as Empathy Ambassador. She shall notify members who do not use email of meetings and other correspondence with either a phone call or mailing.
The Treasurer shall receive and pay all monies, keep accounts and provide a monthly financial statement to the Board and general membership. Money shall only be paid out by order of the Board except as provided in the yearly budget. The Treasurer shall submit a yearly budget to the Executive Board for approval and an annual audit of the books shall be made between January and March.
ARTICLE VII - NOMINATING COMMITTEE
& ELECTION OF OFFICERS
There shall be a nominating committee consisting of the immediate past president as chairman and two board members to be appointed by the President. The committee members shall be named at the September meeting and a slate of candidates presented at the October meeting and voted on at the November meeting. The election shall take place at the Annual Meeting in March. All members in good standing (who have paid their dues by May 1) shall have one vote. All new officers will take over immediately upon determining their election at the close of the Annual Meeting.
ARTICLE VIII - MEETINGS
Monthly meetings will be held on the third Tuesday of each month unless otherwise designated. The Annual Meeting will be held in March. Board meetings will be held as needed.
ARTICLE IX – FISCAL YEAR & DUES
The fiscal year of the Club will begin on January 1 and end on December 31.
The annual dues for each member shall be thirty dollars ($30.00) payable from October 1 through December 31 and will cover their dues from January 1 until December 31 of the following year. The amount of annual dues shall be fixed by a majority vote of the Club members periodically as may be required provided written notice is given of the proposed change no less than thirty days in advance of the vote.
ARTICLE X – EXECUTIVE BOARD
The Executive Board shall consist of the officers of the Club, the immediate Past President and the Chairpersons of the following Standing Committees:
ARTICLE Xl - STANDING COMMITTEES
1. There shall be a Civic Committee/Chair, the purpose of which shall be to develop and/or maintain appropriate projects that enhance the beautification of the community.
2. There shall be a Membership Committee/Chair, the purpose of which shall be to keep the membership list up to date, collect dues and find ways to enhance the membership.
3. There shall be a Program Committee/Chair, the purpose of which shall be to plan programs and workshops for the meetings each month.
4. There shall be a Fundraising Committee/Chair, the purpose of which shall be to plan and execute all fundraising activities throughout the year in keeping with the mission of the Club.
5. There shall be a Field Trip Committee/Chair, the purpose of which shall be to research and plan field trips of interest to the membership. The Field Trip Committee shall be a subcommittee of the Program Committee.
6. There shall be a Grant Committee/Chair, the purpose of which shall be to oversee and provide funds for educational and community grants.
7. There shall be a Hometown Pride Award Committee/Chair, the purpose of which shall be to research potential recipients of the Hometown Pride Award and present names of businesses or organizations to the club membership for voting on the recipient of the award. The names of potential recipients will be presented at the May meeting and voted on at the July meeting with the award being presented in August.
8. There shall be a Publicity Committee/Chair, the purpose of which shall be to help promote public awareness of the Club’s projects, fundraisers, field trips, programs and information deemed newsworthy.
9. There shall be a Refreshment Committee/Chair, the purpose of which shall be to make arrangements for refreshments at meetings and events.
All Committee Chairpersons shall keep a binder of helpful information to be passed on to the next chairperson
ARTICLE XlI - AMENDMENTS
These by-laws may be amended by a two-thirds vote of the membership present at any specific meeting provided notice is given of the proposed amendments no less than 30 days
in advance of the vote to be taken.
By-laws approved September 13, 2006
Revised October, 2007
Revised November, 2010
Revised November, 2016
Revised July, 2019
Revised October, 2023
A $75.00 honorarium will be given to guest speakers unless otherwise specified. There will be no honorarium given to club members who present programs (except to cover expenses.)
A $50.00 memorial will be given to an appropriate charity on the death of a member or spouse of amember.
A member emeritus status may be recommended and voted on by the Board of Directors in appreciation for club support from a member over the years.
Members’ contact information is for the use of our Club and not for solicitation.
bottom of page